TIPS FOR HIRING A MOVING COMPANY
Saturday Mar 18th, 2023
There’s a lot to consider when planning a move and we’ve all heard stories about negative experiences. Don’t wait until the last minute to interview prospective companies and get quotes.
• Schedule an in-person meeting and walk through of your home to get an accurate quote – in writing.
• Before you sign the moving quote, read the fine print.
It’s also important to find out...
Do they have experience with your specific type of move?
For example, if the move is to a high-rise apartment building or a multi-storey townhome the movers should be prepared to handle things like steep stairs, no elevators and small doorways. Or be prepared for an off-hours move when an elevator may be available.
What kind of liability coverage does the company provide?
Before handing over your things, you’ll want to make sure your belongings are insured in case of a mishap during the move. Some movers offer basic coverage based on the weight of your belongings. Insurance coverage is a wide topic with lots of “arguables” in the event of damage So, whether it's your TV or a rare-wood dining room set that is being moved, three words to remember – Replacement Value Insurance.
In addition to liability coverage options, you should ask to see a moving company’s proof of insurance.
Can the mover provide a binding quote or a not-to-exceed estimate?
Some moving companies offer non-binding estimates, which means the estimated price of your move is subject to change, depending on actual hours. Prefer to know exactly how much you’re going to owe ahead of time? Hire a company that offers a binding quote, as some do.
You may also want to find out:
• Will this moving company be delivering your items or will another company be delivering them?
• Will your items be transferred to another party along the way? Will they subcontract the move?
• How long the move is estimated to take?
• How will you contact them and the driver during the move?
• Are there any potential charges you’re not already aware of? What additional moving supplies will you be paying for?
• Do they have a cancellation policy?
• What forms of payment do they accept?
• Will they pack specialty items, such as TVs and electronics?